Green hair has been trending for years, and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. From neon green locks to deep sea emerald tones, there is a green hair color for everyone.
Having green hair gives off free-spirit vibes, originality, and creativity. If you have a head of well-kept green hair, there is no doubt you often get complimented on it.
For people who dye their hair green, figuring out the correct makeup can be challenging at first. Makeup tends to look different after you dye your hair. Some makeup can clash with your new hair color, so you may need to adjust your look to make it all look harmonious together.
What is the best makeup for green hair? It depends on the type of green you’re rocking, but a good rule of thumb is to either go for neutral makeup or colorful makeup that complements the green in your hair.
In this article, we will go over some great makeup ideas that look stunning with different shades of green so that you can create your perfect look.
What Colors Go Well With Green Hair?
Green hair looks best when paired with colors that are complementary, monochromatic, or analogous to it on a color wheel.
Using the art and science of color theory can help you pick the best colors for your hair. Based on that theory, colors that go best with green are:
- Neutrals, like smoky greys and browns
- Complementary colors like mauves, pinks, reds, and violet tones
- Monochromatic colors that are the same hue as your hair
- Analogous colors, such as lime greens, teals, and blues
The best way to create a makeup look that goes well with green hair is to pick one of the options above and use it to accentuate your features.
Keep in mind that there are different types of green hair colors, so the specific makeup colors should be matched to your specific type of green. Here’s a guide on how to do that based on the type of green color you have in your hair:
Best Makeup Colors For Neon Green Hair
If you have neon green hair, it’s likely bright and pulls a little bit yellow. This is a gorgeous and bright color that looks best with other bright colors when it comes to makeup. Here are some makeup colors that look particularly stunning with neon green hair:
- Grape purple
- Lime green
- Juicy green and yellow
Since neon green hair is so bright, dull makeup colors can look pretty washed out next to it. That’s why your best bet is to go with other bright and fun colors that play well with neon green.
Pick one of the choices above and incorporate it into your makeup look. If you’re not sure how, here are a few ideas:
- Use grape purple eyeshadow for a pop of color on your eyes. You can pair it with black eyeliner, black mascara, and a neutral lip.
- Use bright purple eyeliner with purple mascara for a trendy look. Keep the rest of your features neutral.
- Feeling brave? Rock bright purple lipstick with minimal makeup on your eyes.
- Lime green eyeshadow paired with a black liner can look absolutely striking with your neon green hair.
- Lime green lipstick (if you’re brave) would look incredible, just make sure to keep the rest of your makeup neutral and frequently reapply your lipstick to make sure it remains vibrant and clean.
- Combine lime green and yellow on your eyes by creating a smoky look with your eyeshadow. Keep the yellow close to the inner lid and blend it out to lime green on the outer corner of your eyes. Pair with black eyeliner and a neutral lip.
Best Makeup Colors For Mint Green Hair
Mint green hair is usually light and cool, it pulls more towards blue. It’s almost teal but a little bit lighter.
Colors that look striking with mint green hair are:
- Cool pinks and magentas
- Light green and light blue
To accentuate your gorgeous mint hair color, it’s best to stick to cooler colors like the ones listed above. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate these colors into your makeup:
- Cool pink lipstick, pink blush, and neutral eyeshadow with black cat eyeliner.
- Bold teal eyeliner on your upper lid with neutral eyeshadow and neutral lips.
- A tropical ombre eyeshadow that combines light green and light blue eyeshadows. Pair it with a neutral lip and bold black eyeliner.
- Pinky-mauve eyeshadow around your eyes, lined with a black pencil liner, and thickening black mascara will look gorgeous with your mint hair. Keep your lips nude or light pink for this look.
- A simple black liner over your top lash line paired with a light teal pencil eyeliner on the lower lash line would make your hair – and your eyes – pop.
Best Makeup Colors For Emerald Green Hair
Emerald green hair is typically darker than mint and greener. It’s almost a true green, however, emerald often has subtle blue undertones. It’s a gorgeous color that looks especially well on people with naturally dark hair and darker features.
If you’re lucky enough to rock an emerald green hair color, here are some makeup colors that will look great with it:
- Deep mauve
- Kelly green
- Bright green and teal
- Dark smoky grey
Emerald green is a dark color that calls for contrast, which is why darker cool-toned makeup colors look so fantastic with this hair color.
Pair it with a dark smoky grey for a neutral look that screams drama, or rock some teal to play off the subtle cool tones in your hair. Here are some makeup ideas for you to try:
- Mauve eyeshadow and burgundy lipstick. Paired with a cool blush and black eyeliner.
- Kelly green or deep grassy green eyeshadow with a neutral lip.
- Dramatic green and teal eyeshadow look with teal blending seamlessly into the green from the inner corner towards the outer corner of your eye. Wear it with thick black eyeliner and a nude lip.
- Create a smokey eye look using grey eyeshadows in different tones. Keep your lips nude. Bonus: add a pop of green by lining your bottom lash line with a deep green pencil liner.
- Teal eyeliner with minimal makeup elsewhere would also look stunning and very on-trend with emerald green hair.
Creating A Balanced Makeup Look
Balancing The Colors
When it comes to hair and makeup colors, balance is important. Notice how we rarely recommend using a bunch of colors all at once in your makeup look.
You don’t want to combine pink, purple, teal, and green in one look. Unless, of course, you’re going for a festive ombre look or heading to a rave or festival.
In your daily life, it’s best to pick one color scheme for your makeup because your hair already provides a gorgeous pop of color that you don’t want to take away from.
When it comes to green hair, you want to pick one of three options: complementary colors (pink or purple), monochromatic colors (greens that look similar to your hair color), or analogous colors (the two colors that are closest to your hair color, e.g. blue and lime green).
Remember, that the specific tone of each color scheme is dependent on the type of green you have in your hair: brighter neon greens call for brighter and bolder color schemes, whereas deep emerald tones call for darker cooler tones.
Balancing The Face
Another important factor to remember when creating a balanced makeup look is that you typically don’t want to wear heavy makeup on every part of your face.
Most makeup artists recommend selecting just one part of the face to put an accent on: either the eyes or the lips.
This is especially important since you’re already putting a big accent on your hair by rocking a gorgeous green hair color.
When it comes to figuring out where you want to put your makeup on, focus on one area and try to keep other areas more neutral.
This doesn’t mean you can’t wear lipstick if you’re wearing bright eyeshadow – just make sure that your lipstick is not competing with your eyes for attention. Go with a more neutral and muted lip color.
The same rule can be applied when you’re putting an accent on your lips. For example, if you’re choosing to rock deep purple lipstick to play off your neon green hair, keep the eye makeup minimal and opt for a simple black eyeliner rather than an elaborate eyeshadow look.
Green hair is a great way to add edginess to your style, so it’s no wonder why this has become one of the most popular “funky” hair colors of the last few years.
When creating a makeup look to go with your green hair, be mindful of what colors look best with your shade of green and remember to keep your makeup balanced on the face.
Neutral colors always look good with green hair too. Think: beige, browns, and greys. These colors will work great as long as you remember to add contrast to either your eyes or lips to keep your makeup from looking washed out next to your hair.
Can You Use Purple Shampoo On Green Hair? (+ What To Use Instead)
What Will Happen If You Put Red Dye Over Green Hair?
Bleached Hair Turned Green (What To Do)